Many authors will give ARCs to beta readers or published copies of their books to winners of contests, etc. by sending their books straight to your Kindle. I do this all the time, especially during Facebook parties.
In order for you to receive the book though, you have to do two things:
- You must give the author your Kindle email address.
- You must add the author’s email address as one of your approved Kindle email addresses.
So now I bet you’re wondering, well where the hell do I find all of that? I’ll tell you.
How To Find Your Kindle Email Address
Via Kindle App (Fast Method)
- You can find your Kindle email address directly from the Kindle App on your device.
- Login to your device (ex. iPad or iPhone).
- Click on the settings wheel that you’ll typically find in the lower right hand corner
- Save the email address you see under: SEND-TO-KINDLE EMAIL ADDRESS
Via Amazon (Slower Method)
- Login into your Amazon account.
- Toward the top right of the Amazon.com home page, you should see a button/section that says “Hello, [your name or “sign in”] Your Account”. Hover your mouse over (don’t click on) the Your Account button/section.
- From the menu that appears, click on “Manage Your Content and Devices”
- When you arrive at the Manage Your Content and Devices page, there are some tabs at the top. Click on the “Your Devices” tab.
- Your Kindle device and any devices that have the Kindle application (e.g., smartphone, iPad, computer, etc.) will be listed here with picture icons. Click on the device where you want to receive documents or eBooks.
- Clicking on the icon for the device of your choice should display, just below the icons, an e-mail address that ends in @kindle.com. THAT’S the e-mail address of that Kindle device/app. Save it.
How To Add An Approved Recipient Email Address
- Login to Amazon and go to the “Manage Your Content and Devices” page.
- Click on the “Settings” tab at the top (just right of the “Your Devices” tab)
- At that new page, scroll down to the section titled “Personal Document Settings” and there is a sub-category titled “Approved Personal Document E-mail List” and click on the link “Add a new approved e-mail address.”
- In the box that appears, type in email@example.com (or the e-mail address of the author sending the eBook).
- Click the “Add Address” button.
- If you will be receiving books from more than one author, you may want to add @gmail.com as an approved sender so that you can receive books with anyone sending from a gmail account without having to add them all individually. (Most indie authors will have a gmail account).